Wayne State University
Found in 273 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1947 Wayne State University entered the computer age with the purchase of a mechanical differential analyzer from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Computation Lab was established five years later. Wayne partnered with Burroughs Research Lab to develop the Unitized Digital Electronic computer. An IBM 650 Magnetic Drum Data Processing Machine was used at the University in 1955. The Computation Lab changed its name in 1958 to the Computing Center. It continued to expand, and an IBM...
Abstract The Wayne State University Department of African American Studies was formed in 1970. Its predecessor names were, the Department of Africana Studies and the Center for Black Studies. The files mainly reflect the department's activities from 1970 to 1984 with some materials dating from the mid 1960s.
Abstract The Wayne State University Department of Marketing and Communications (formerly known as the Wayne State University Office of Public Relations) functions as the primary liaison between the university and the news media and is concerned with maintaining the school’s positive image. This collection consists of materials produced between 1961-2000 and includes press releases; clippings and reports on press coverage relating to WSU; biographic files on the University's presidents and other...
Abstract These papers reflect the daily operations of Wayne State’s overseas staff to improve technical education in Thailand. Information relevant to United States foreign policies, the Thai education system, and the Thai government is included in the collection.
Abstract The Division of Business and Finance was created in 1961, and management of the division was assigned to James Lewis. His title initially was Assistant to the Vice President and Director of Business Operations. His title was later changed to Assistant Vice President for Business Affairs. The papers in this collection document the University’s business and financial activities, including contract negotiations, fringe benefits, labor relations, parking, property management, buildings and grounds.
Abstract The Division of Enrollment Services was created in 1981 when the Division of Admissions, Records and Financial Aid was reorganized. The records of Enrollment Services consist of statistical reports and studies from university units with admissions, registration, records and enrollment functions.
Abstract The Collegian was the student newspaper of Detroit Junior College, the City Colleges of Detroit, Wayne University, and Wayne State University, from 1917 until 1967. At various times it was published under the names The Wayne Collegian, The Detroit Collegian, and The Daily Collegian; it became The South End in 1967.
Abstract Founded in 1957, the University Center for Adult Education (UCAE) was a non-degree program with joint institutional sponsorship initially from Wayne State University and the University of Michigan. One of six units within the WSU Division of Urban Extension, UCAE offered a wide range of courses for adults in the humanities, communications, behavioral sciences, and continuing education held in a variety of locations across southeastern Michigan. The program served a broad spectrum of students,...
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 4
Abstract NCATE Committee records document the accreditation of the college by the NCATE, including correspondence of John C. Sullivan, Professor of Education.
Abstract This project was organized in May 1970 at the annual College Conference. The project had three goals: 1) to explore and develop alternative and innovative models for more relevant teacher education, 2) more directly involve students in this process, and 3) Recognize the direct relationship of teacher education to the problems and issues of public education in a changing society.
Abstract Annual reports beginning with 1956 and continuing through 1960 for the Educational Psychology and Clinical Psychology department are included in the collection. Course outlines and evaluations, correspondence and memoranda from 1958 and 1959, as well as staff meeting minutes from November, 1971 to June, 1973 are part of the collection.
Abstract Wayne State University celebrated the centennial observance of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1963 by a series of noteworthy events under the auspices of President Hilberry. Dr. Gunnar Myrdal served as honorary chairman, with Professor John Hope Franklin and Professor Arnold Rose as co-chairmen. The Faculty Steering Committee was composed of Dr. Harold Basilius, Mr. Mark Beach, Dr. Lee Benson, Dr. Broadus Butler, Dr. Juanita Collier, Dr. John Dorsey, Dr. Winfred Harbison, Dr. Ronald Haughton,...
Abstract The Wayne Engineering Research Institute was founded as a non-profit, self-governing research lab in 1945, with Dean Arthur R. Carr as its first president. WERI was not a direct affiliate of Wayne University, although the two institutions were closely intertwined, as most of the staff of WERI were also faculty at Wayne University. Additionally, at the founding of WERI, Wayne University agreed to rent facilities to them, as well as grant leave-of-absence leniency to the faculty that were...
Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions Publications
Abstract This collection includes newsletters and other publications of the Wayne State University Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, as well as those of its predecessor schools and departments: the Detroit Technical Institute Department of Chemistry and Pharmacy, the College of Pharmacy of the City of Detroit, the Detroit College of Pharmacy, the Detroit Institute of Technology College of Pharmacy, the Wayne University College of Pharmacy, the Wayne State University College of...
Abstract This collection contains faculty and staff directories for Wayne University's predecessor institutions (1928-1934), Wayne University (1935-1955), and Wayne State University (1957-2011).
Abstract Handbooks for university employees, including faculty, academic staff, and nonacademic personnel. Included are manuals for employees of the University Bookstores, the Division of Urban Extension, and the College of Lifelong Learning.
Abstract The newsletter was produced first by Wayne University and then by the following departments and divisions of Wayne State University: the Press and Publications Division, the Division of University Relations, the Division of Public Relations, the Public Relations Department, and the Media Relations Department. This newsletter was published for the faculty and staff of Wayne University and Wayne State University; the series was discontinued in 1998 and replaced by the newsletter Campus News.
Abstract The Faculty Wives' Club of the College of the City of Detroit was founded in 1925, preceding Wayne University by ten years. This group's mission, as stated in its 1953 constitution, was "to promote friendship among the faculty wives of Wayne University, to further the interests of the women of Wayne University, and to engage in such civic activities as are appropriate to the nature of the organization." In addition to its frequent meetings, receptions, and tours, the Faculty Wives' Club...
Abstract Mr. Pelham worked at Wayne State University from 1954 to 1968, and held both faculty and administrative positions. He began as a part-time faculty member in the Department of Political Science. Pelham became an associate professor in 1957, and assumed additional duties with the finance office in 1959. He took an eighteen-month leave of absence to serve as the first African-American controller for the City of Detroit. Upon his return in 1964, he became Assistant Vice President of Finance. He was...
Abstract This collection includes the published financial reports of Wayne University and Wayne State University for the years 1950-1989, 1997, and 1999. Detailed financial schedules and statements for the years 1962-1989 are included.
Abstract By 1965, 413 foreign students from over 45 countries were enrolled at Wayne State University; the university established the Foreign Student Advising Office for the benefit of these students. Virgil R. Lougheed directed this office from 1952 until his retirement in 1973. In addition to advising foreign students he also coordinated religious activities for foreign students. He was a member of the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs. Materials in the Foreign Student Advisor Records...
Abstract These records contain files of fraternities and sororities that were active at Wayne State University between 1932 to 2000. The bulk of the records are from the 1950s and 1960s. Some organizations were active when the university were known as the College of the City of Detroit, Wayne University and currently Wayne State University. Documents include petitions for chapters, chapter installation materials, initiation programs, information booklets, handbooks, constitutions, membership rolls,...
Abstract The Gas House Gang was established in 1920 at Wayne State University’s predecessor, the College of the City of Detroit. It was an all-male social organization on the campus. This group continued until 1957. The Gas House Gang was largely a social group for men whose Constitution had four supporting purposes: to support the college to the utmost, to oppose any mode of dress “which is unbecoming to a real man”, to do their best to obtain a high grade of scholarship, and to “respect womanhood to...
Abstract Both the records of David L. Holmes, Director of Athletics and track coach, and the files of the Health and Physical Educational Division are contained in this collection. David L. Holmes began his tenure at Wayne University as Athletic Director of Detroit Junior College. He stayed with the University until his retirement in 1958. Primarily the David L. Holmes files in this collection concentrate on the decade of 1949-1959, and concern his duties as track coach. During World War II, most...
Abstract This collection contains annual reports (1936-1968) of the Wayne State University Student Health Service, renamed the University Health Service (or Health Service) in 1961. Also included is budget information for the years 1950-1959.