Wayne State University
Found in 273 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Developing Urban Detroit Area Research Project (UDA) began in 1964 with sponsorship from the Detroit Edison Company and Wayne State University to understand the affects of urban growth in the city of Detroit in order to better prepare for future growth. The project was managed for seven years by the international urban planning organization, Doxiadis Associates and produced three volumes of published findings.The UDA records document Doxiadis and the evolution of this project,...
Abstract Professor Marsh began his career at Wayne in 1931 as an instructor in Sociology. His research centered on intergroup relations, most notably Black-Jewish relations and Jewish-Gentile relations, as well as surveys of attitudes among and toward minority groups. After the first Detroit riots in 1943, an Interracial Committee was organized to monitor and investigate the causes of racial tension in Detroit. Marsh accepted the role of chair of the Popular Education Committee set up by the Interracial...
Abstract These papers reflect the courses taught in the Detroit College of Medicine during the early twentieth century. Martyn was a student in the Dental Surgery Department of the Detroit College of Medicine, and received a Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree in 1908. His lecture notebooks as well as his biology notes and drawings are included in the collection.
Collection — Container: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 2, Folder: 1
Abstract Douglas Sherman taught industrial arts, becoming Assistant to the Provost at Wayne State University in 1958 and Director of Capital Programs in 1964. His papers represent the collective experiences at WSU of himself and William Keast, President of WSU, and contain a draft of the first five chapters of their book, "Physical Facilities in Higher Education."
Abstract Born in Perkins Oklahoma, Professor Skinner earned his B.S. degree at Oklahoma State University in 1919, and his Ph.D. in Speech at the University of Wisconsin in 1935. He began as professor of Speech at the College of the City of Detroit in September, 1928, and taught interpretive reading, voice and diction. He was instrumental in forming the men’s faculty club, the Wayne University Club, and in developing various extra curricular activities within the Speech Department.
Abstract Mr. Cushman has had a long career in labor relations. He held positions with the Michigan Unemployment Compensation Commission, the War Manpower Commission, the Retraining and Reemployment Administration, the Department of Labor, and the International Labor Organization. During the late 1940's and early 1950's, he served as arbitrator in disputes involving fifty-three major companies and fifteen international unions. From 1954 to 1966, he was director of Industrial Relations and vice-president...
Collection — Container: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 2, Folder: 2
Abstract Born in Millwood Pennsylvania in 1885, McFarland graduated from the Pennsylvania State Teachers College at Indiana in 1908. He earned his bachelor’s degree in 1913 and master’s degree in 1915 from the University of Michigan. His areas of interest included public finance, taxation, purchasing and distribution. McFarland taught in Detroit’s Northern and Central high schools from 1915 until 1920, when he was appointed as an instructor to the Detroit Teachers College. Elected by his peers as...
Abstract Born in Lenawee County Michigan, Miss Downer first taught in rural schools. Downer attended Michigan State Normal College in Ypsilanti, earning her Teacher’s Certificate in 1913. She then taught in Ypsilanti until 1917, when she began teaching at the Harris School in Detroit. From the Harris School she transferred to the Marr Elementary School, a teacher training school affiliated with the Detroit Teachers College, where she taught elementary students and supervised student teachers. Named...
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 4, Folder: 3
Abstract Eleanor Wolf, a professor of sociology and anthropology at Wayne State University, joined the Wayne faculty in 1945. She received her B.A., M.A., and Ph.D degrees from Wayne. The Eleanor Wolf papers consist of clippings, flyers, and pamphlets collected by Dr. Wolf concerning student peace movements in Detroit, mostly at Wayne University, from 1936 to 1939.
Abstract Elise Hatt Campbell was a staff member of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. During her tenure she conducted studies and wrote articles concerning childhood development and education, as well as taught courses at Wayne University. Campbell was also a consultant in the Detroit Council for Youth Service and Chairman of the Committee of the Detroit Council of Social Agencies. The papers of Elise Hatt Campbell reflect her work within the Merrill-Palmer Institute and as an instructor at Wayne University....
Abstract Professor Ramsey began teaching at Detroit Normal School in 1919. She was highly respected for her work in children’s literature, folklore and the education of children. The collection includes teaching materials from the 1930s and 1940s, papers given at conferences and seminars, writings and book manuscripts as well as correspondence from many significant persons in the field of children’s literature and publishing.
Abstract A founding member of the Detroit Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, Ernest Goodman served as NLG President, and formed the nation’s first (known) interracial law firm: Goodman, Crockett, Eden and Rob. He was deeply involved with the labor movement and some of its most bitter union organizing struggles and remained committed throughout his career to serving the common man, with clients ranging from Communists, Black Panthers, prison inmates, and African-Americans during the civil rights...
Abstract Miss Chase instructed Botany at Wayne University. She was appointed as Advisor to Women in 1919 by Dean David Mackenzie. She received both her BA and Master’s of Arts Degrees at University of Michigan. She was an original member of the faculty of the Detroit Junior College. She founded the Michigan State Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, a women’s honorary education society. - Boxes 4 and 5 are unavailable.
Abstract The papers of Everett R. Phelps were placed in the University Archives by Professor Vaden W. Miles in 1968, with an additional donation following in 1981. These papers reflect his work for the Howard A. Donnelly Award Committee and his commitment to the use of television to make the physical sciences understandable and enjoyable to average viewers. Everett R. Phelps received his A.B. from Clark University and his A.M. and Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. In 1922 Phelps became...
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects covering a broad range of topics. The archive is strong in modern industrial and occupational folklore, reflecting the rich ethnic diversity and work-oriented heritage of Detroit and southeastern Michigan. The Folklore Archive: Studies and Research Projects Records contain...
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 5, Folder: 2
Abstract This collection includes one deed of gift for 71 Detroit College of Medicine stock shares. The stock was given to Dr. Walker by his uncle, Harry O. Walker. Both men were skilled surgeons, and taught surgery at the Detroit College of Medicine.
Abstract This collection contains the records of the FRIENDS of Wayne State University School of Medicine from 1975 to 2004. Most of the records are organizational materials relating to the running and planning of the group and events and projects. There are some audio-visual materials in the collection as well.
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 6
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 5, Folder: 4
Abstract The collection contains a questionnaire supplied to Dr. Hare by WSU historian Leslie Hanawalt. A student of the Veterinary Department of the Detroit College of Medicine, 1896-7, the questionnaire details Hare’s educational experience.
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 4, Folder: 1
Abstract Grace Hill was the first head of the French Department at Detroit Junior College, the College of the City of Detroit, and ultimately Wayne State University until her retirement in 1944. She was intimately involved with creating an awareness in the Detroit area for the plight of French children in World War I. Her papers reflect her involvement with the orphans in France.
Abstract Harold Mack, M.D. was a professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Wayne State University School of Medicine, joining the faculty in 1931 and eventually becoming Chair. He retired Professor Emeritus in 1970. His papers primarily reflect his writings and achievements, as well as his involvement in the Detroit medical community.