Wayne State University
Found in 273 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In addition to chronicling the tenure of Mr. Whitehouse as Dean during 1939-1945, files of two former deans of the college, Wilford Coffey and Albertus Darnell are included. These papers primarily reflect the role of the College during World War II, the interaction between students and the College, as well as the College’s development, policies, procedures and personnel. The early history and growth of many of the departments are contained in this collection: Art, Biology, Business...
Abstract This collection chronicles the federal Freshman College Project. The aim of the Project was to employ teachers, and give one year of college education to those in financial need. In 1935, the program name was changed to: “Community Colleges.” This collection shows the Colleges’ organization, governmental implementation, community response and the difficulties that led to its termination.
Abstract This collection includes personal papers of Frank G. Tompkins, gradebooks of Clarence Hilberry, and general material from the English Department office. Frank G. Tompkins was an English professor at Detroit Junior College and Central High School; he was on the earliest faculty roster (1918-1919), and was a department head. Much of his personal papers come from his early years of teaching, and the student papers found within are from both the Junior College and Central High School. Frank...
Abstract This collection consists of newsletters sent to student athletes and former student athletes of Wayne University serving in the military during World War II. The newsletters, written and compiled by George B. Sherman of the university's Athletic Department, collected information and anecdotes submitted by servicemen affiliated with athletics at Wayne, as well as reports on the progress of Wayne's sports teams. The newsletter was originally titled "The Weekly Chit-Chat," until Sherman renamed it...
Abstract The Wayne University Foundation was formed in 1938 to receive and administer financial endowments donated to the university. It was the hope of the university that endowment funds would play a large role in providing the necessary financial stability for Wayne to establish itself as a notable academic institution. Although the foundation existed for more than twenty years, it generated no substantial private donations or legacies. It was finally closed out in April of 1961. A native...
Abstract he Janet Mackenzie Memorial Fund, a non-profit corporation, was created in March 1929. In 1931 its name was changed to Mackenzie Union of the College of the City of Detroit; 1934 it became Mackenzie Union of Wayne University. Mackenzie Union was housed at 4847 Second Avenue in Detroit, which it leased in 1933 and purchased in 1934. In 1938 both the property and the Union were taken over by the Student Activities Budget Committee of Wayne University. Mackenzie Union relocated to 437 Putnam...
Abstract These papers reflect the history of the Medical library from 1900 through July 1949. Most of the material was donated in 1923 by the Medical Society library to the Detroit Public Library. The collection ends with the full incorporation of the medical library into the Wayne University Libraries group in 1949.
Abstract The Medical Science Center was organized as a nonprofit corporation at the request of the Detroit Board of Education. Its mission was to raise money for, and build one of the world's outstanding medical centers in Detroit, affiliated with Wayne University. Capital costs were to be borne by foundation support and private donations, but unsuccessful in this endeavor, the Center was finally dissolved in 1951.
Abstract The records of the Wayne University Office of Student Personnel include clippings of media publications pertaining to grants and monies received by the University, student loan fund reports, and other financial information.
Abstract David D. Henry accepted a position as Professor of English at Wayne in 1935. From 1936-1939, he served as Assistant Executive Vice-President and was appointed Executive Vice-President when Charles Spain retired from the position in 1939. In 1945, he was selected as President of Wayne University. As president he oversaw the physical and educational growth of Wayne. During his tenure, State, Science and Engineering halls were built, two libraries and a student center. Land was acquired to build...
Abstract The records of the Wayne University Department of Physics and Physical Science contain correspondence from Dr. George W. Carter, chair of the Wayne University Department of Physics and Physical Science, who also served as a professor in the department from 1925 until his retirement in 1947. The records also include Dr. Earl Thomas's meeting notes from the University-wide Cancer Committee.
Abstract The Scholarship Honor Society of the College of the City of Detroit was created in 1928 and originally made up of faculty who were members of Phi Beta Kappa or Society of the Sigma Xi. Dean Wilford L. Coffey appointed the first faculty committee. The 1929 constitution stated that the creation of the Scholarship Honor Society was to “promote the spirit of scholarship among students and graduates of the College of the City of Detroit.” At first there was no specific honor point requirement,...
Abstract The Wayne University Sociological Society, a chapter of the Michigan Sociological Society, first met in 1946. Its mission was to promote research and interest in the various fields of sociology through collective action by all who were interested in the scientific analysis of sociocultural phenomena.
Abstract This collection consists of alphabetical listings of plays with each season noted. In addition, there are clippings, programs, news releases, correspondence and annual reports are arranged chronologically by academic year beginning in September, 1925.
Abstract WDET, 101.9 FM, is the radio station operated by Wayne State University. WDET was founded in 1948 by the United Auto Workers; it was purchased by Wayne University in 1952. This collection includes program guides (1954-2002), annual reports (1957-1961), and pamphlets concerning television at Wayne University (1951-1958).
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 5, Folder: 1
Abstract William Fredrick, former Chairman of the Wayne State University School of Medicine, Department of Occupational and Environmental Health and Director of the Detroit Department of Health, enjoyed a career which spanned forty years. Highlights of his career include participation on a team which helped solve the lead poisoning problem in the auto industry during the 1930s and being appointed by Michigan Governor William Milliken to chair the state's Occupational Health Standards Commission in 1975....
Abstract Born in Detroit in 1876, he held a medical degree, a pharmacy degree and a law degree, all earned from Detroit colleges. The collection provides papers from his administrative duties in the School of Medicine. Also contained in the collection is historical information about St. Mary’s Hospital and Receiving Hospital, as well as Alpha Omega Alpha, Mu Kappa Phi and Phi Rho Sigma fraternities. Dr. Stapleton’s speeches and articles are included in the collection.
Abstract William Trap began as a philosophy professor at the Colleges of the City of Detroit in 1923, and was promoted to department head in 1929, a position he held until his retirement in 1955. Trap also served as president of the Detroit Philosophical Society and of the Wayne University Club from 1938 to 1940. The collection reflects his involvement at the university, and the papers of the Detroit Philosophical Society and the Wayne University Club.
Abstract William Stocking began as an English teacher and athletic coach for Central High School in 1908. He was promoted to Assistant Principal in 1913. The collection provides information about Central High School, specifically the English Department, the football team and David Mackenzie.
Abstract Born in Marysville Tennessee in 1905. B.A. at Marysville College in 1925, served as an instructor of psychology at the College from 1925-1927. McTeer completed his graduate work at University of Chicago in 1928, completed his Ph.D. in Psychology in 1930, and joined the faculty of College of the City of Detroit, where he taught psychology until he retired in 1971. This collection reflects McTeer’s work with University Council Budget Committee, and Liberal Arts Committee work. Subjects such as...
Abstract David R. Baldwin was appointed as Vice President of Business and Finance in 1969, by President Keast. He supervised Accounting, Bookstores, Budget, Building Services, Housing, Internal Auditor, Parking, Personnel Services, Public Safety, and Purchasing. The papers of Vice President for Business and finance consist of budget material, correspondence, financial records, minutes, personnel records, and staff benefits as well as reports related to the activities of David R. Baldwin. They heavily...
Abstract An interdisciplinary, university-wide program of undergraduate and professional instruction in the broad field of family life was developed by President David Henry, Dean of Administration Clarence B. Hilberry, Dean of the College of Nursing, Katherine Favile, and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Victor A. Rapport. The 5-year teaching and research program was funded via grants from the Children’s Bureau of the Michigan Department of Health. In 1951-52, the Child Growth and Development...