Wayne State University
Found in 273 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Illustrated first-year student directories produced by the Wayne State University School of Medicine. Each directory lists the administrative faculty and department chairs in addition to photographs and short biographies of each year's starting class of students.
Abstract This school began in 1944. Its purpose was to develop a program in the field of occupational health and medicine that would include research, service and education. The center of interest focused on the promotion and maintenance of employee health. Its 3 main concerns covered technology, human relationships in industry and administration of occupational health programs.
Abstract The School of Social Work was first established at Wayne University in 1936. Charles B. Brink was appointed as dean in 1950, serving from 1951 to 1963. The period 1950-1963 in the School of Social Work was characterized by consolidation and slow but steady growth. In 1964, Sidney Dillick succeeded Brink as Dean of the School of Social Work. The Dillick years, 1964-1981, were a period of rapid growth in size, curriculum, and organization in the school, spurred by student enrollment and federal...
Abstract Allen A. Hyman was the Assistant to Wayne State University's President George E. Gullen. This collection primarily conists of reports, meeting minutes, and correspondence within the university about university committees and policies, as well as committees relating to the City of Detroit, and the U.S. Bicentennial Celebration.
Abstract The department responsible for overseeing the functions (i.e. activation/de-activation, recruitment, membership eligibility and activities) of student organizations throughout the history of Wayne State University has operated under the following names: Student Activities, Student Activities Office, Division of Student Personnel-Student Activities, Division of Student Activities Service Office, Division of Student Personnel-Office of Student Organizations, Division of Student Personnel-Director...
Abstract These records contain a variety of files from both student organizations and university departments have been or were active at Wayne State University since 1881. The records span from the 1880s to 2013, but the bulk of the records are from the 1940s through the 1990s. Some organizations and departments were active when the university was knows as the College of the City of Detroit, Wayne University, and currently Wayne State University. Documents vary but include event flyers, newsletters,...
Abstract The Wayne State University Student-Faculty Council served as a policy recommending body, and offered students a voice in university government. The organization recommended policies concerning student activities and student welfare to University President Clarence Hilberry. The three main issues at this time were the affairs of the Student Activities Council, addressing concerns students brought to the Council, and protecting students against arbitrary action by faculty or administrators. The...
Abstract This collection includes student handbooks for Detroit Junior College (1921); Detroit Teachers College (1923, 1927); College of the City of Detroit (1923-1928); Detroit City College (1930); Detroit Municipal Colleges (1931-1933); Wayne University (1934-1947) and Wayne State University (1968-2000, non-inclusive); Wayne University College of Medicine (1937-1952, non-inclusive); Wayne State University College of Medicine (1961); Wayne State University School of Medicine (1971-1997, non-inclusive);...
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...
Abstract The Detroit Board of Education established the University Council in 1933 in order to facilitate the participation of university faculty in overall planning. The University Council was largely ineffectual until 1939 when it was reorganized under the direction of Vice President David Henry. In 1945, Henry, now President of Wayne University, authorized the University Council to pass judgement in the following areas: "changes in the scope of the University's work, such as the formation of a new...
Abstract These papers chronicle the activities of the University Relations offices. Subjects covered deal generally with Detroit and Michigan; specifically, the collection contains information regarding the Michigan Legislature, the School of Medicine, and the United States Bicentennial for the period 1936-1976. The Wayne State Centennial files cover the time period 1963-1968. WSU Athletics are represented for the period 1940-1977.
Wayne State University University Services and Development Vice President William E. Stirton Records
Abstract These papers include Mr. Stirton’s files as Vice President, his files as Assistant to the President and Director of the Division of Community Relations. Some of the files of John Richards, Stirton’s predecessor as Assistant to the President are included in the collection.Mr. Stirton began as a member of Cass Technical High School faculty in 1925. He accepted the position of principal at Cass Tech in 1946. William Stirton held a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and a...
Abstract The Wayne State University Vertical Files Collection is comprised of newspaper clippings, articles, pamphlets, public relations materials, and other ephemera related to the Walter Reuther Library's Wayne State University collections.
Abstract James McCormick joined the Wayne State University faculty in 1938 as an instructor of English and was promoted to full-time professor of English shortly afterward. From 1960 to 1966, he advanced to the position of Secretary for the Board of Governors. In November of 1965, it was announced that James McCormick would become the Vice President for Student Affairs, a newly created position to coincide with the building of the brand new University Student Center. The Student Center would oversee...
Abstract Walker L. Cisler, chairman of the board for Detroit Edison, financially supported the foundation of The Walker and Gertrude Cisler Library, which was created by the Walker and Gertrude Cisler Library Foundation in 1970. The library was housed in the Charles Grosberg Religious Center on Wayne State University’s campus and worked to sponsor research, lectures, and conferences about religion and social conflict. The founders believed that with education about religion came tolerance of others and...
Abstract The Wayne University Club was formed in 1937 to provide faculty men with a place to dine and relax together. This collection is a compilation of the papers of three members who held office in the club: Donald C. MacLachlan, donated records for the period 1938-1942, Homer Strong who kept data for the period 1937-1950, and Wilhelm Reitz, who had records from 1937-1971.
Abstract The Women's Resource Center (WRC) at Wayne State University, originally founded as the Women's Center in 1976, was created in response to a report from the President's Commission on the Status of Women. It provided referral services, child care services, and resource information to students and staff and supported women re-entering school. The Center existed largely for women on campus to find support, information, and advice and it routinely arranged seminars, workshops, and support groups for...
Abstract This collection contains yearbooks of Wayne State University, its predecessor institutions, and certain schools and colleges within the university. Included are yearbooks for the Detroit College of Medicine (1900, 1914, 1929); Detroit Junior College (1923); Detroit Teachers College (1923, 1924, 1932); the College of the City of Detroit (1923-1932); Wayne University (1934-1955); Wayne State University (1956-1957, 1974-2005); the Department of Mortuary Science (1949-1982); the College of Medicine...
Abstract After the passage of the G.I. Bill in 1944, Wayne University received an influx of incoming veteran students. Dr. Leslie L. Hanawalt was the Acting Registrar and Director of Admissions of Wayne University at this time. In his 1968 book A Place of Light: The History of Wayne State University, he writes about the veteran period: “The body of veteran students that enrolled in American colleges after World War II has often been written about. At Wayne University several generalizations are...
Abstract This collection consists of two folders generated by Wayne University’s Admissions Division. Materials consist of a folder describing student’s eligibility for certificates, and a folder containing material generated by the inter-college course committee, which was chiefly occupied with considering new courses to add to the various colleges’ offerings, or altering existing ones.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract The Detroit Board of Education on November 24, 1936 authorized President Frank Cody to name a Citizens' Committee to study the housing needs of Wayne University. The collection consists of correspondence, reports, minutes and clippings concerning early expansion of the Wayne University campus.
Abstract The Detroit Normal Training School was founded in 1881 by the Detroit Board of Education in order to train teachers for Detroit's public schools. The Normal School was renamed the Detroit Teachers College in 1920; in 1933, the Detroit Teachers College became the College of Education of the newly formed Wayne University.
Abstract In 1935, the Committee of Junior Counselors was organized on the basis of recommendations adopted by the Faculty Assembly of the College of Liberal Arts.
Abstract Albertus Darnell came to Detroit to teach mathematics at Central High School. In 1902 he became head of the Math Department. In 1917 when the Detroit Junior College was organized, Darnell was named head of the mathematics department, continuing until 1924. When the College of the City of Detroit was established in 1923, Darnell became Assistant Dean. After Dean David D. Mackenzie passed away on July 16, 1926, Darnell was appointed Acting Dean. He continued until Wilford L. Coffey was appointed...