Wayne State University
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Developing Urban Detroit Area Research Project (UDA) began in 1964 with sponsorship from the Detroit Edison Company and Wayne State University to understand the affects of urban growth in the city of Detroit in order to better prepare for future growth. The project was managed for seven years by the international urban planning organization, Doxiadis Associates and produced three volumes of published findings.The UDA records document Doxiadis and the evolution of this project,...
Abstract The Ira H. Butterfield Papers were donated by Paul Butterfield, an associate professor in the History Department at Wayne State University. Paul Butterfield joined the faculty of the College of the City of Detroit in 1931 and retired in 1966.Materials in the Ira H. Butterfield Papers relate to his interest and involvement in Michigan’s agricultural history. Correspondence, manuscripts, and a written history of the Michigan State Agricultural Society make up most of the papers. The...
Abstract The Jerome P. Cavanagh Photographs and Other Material consists of numerous photographs, the majority of which were taken during his time in office. These photographs cover events such as the 1968 Olympic Bid, visits from Lyndon B. Johnson, aftermath of the 1967 unrest, and Mayor Cavanagh with various prominent Detroit business people, union members, and politicians. Also included in the collection is memorabilia from his 1966 Senate campaign, 1968 Olympic information, and other various...
Abstract Minoru Yamasaki, (1912-1986), best known as the architect of the World Trade Center, New York City, was born into poverty as a second generation Japanese-American in Seattle, Washington. He put himself through the University of Washington and New York University to study architecture, worked in New York for several years, and eventually made his way to Detroit in 1945 where he established his home and his business. He eventually distinguished himself as one of the premier architects of the 20th...
Abstract Olga Frances (Gorup) Dworkin (1925-2015) was a Wayne State alumna (BA, Education, 1946) who was active in her sorority (Alpha Theta Sigma), Wayne State University’s (WSU) Alumni Association, the Wayne State Fund, where after her tenure as President (1968-1969), she became Chairwoman of the WSU Campus Beautification Committee for seventeen years. Dworkin was a member and President of the Understudies, and helped spearhead Detroit Receiving Hospital’s Art Project in 1983.
Abstract This collection consists of blueprints and other architectural drawings of buildings currently or previously owned by Wayne State University. The majority of drawings in this collection depict buildings no longer owned by the University, due to demolition or sale.
Abstract The Detroit Normal Training School was founded in 1881 by the Detroit Board of Education in order to train teachers for Detroit's public schools. The Normal School was renamed the Detroit Teachers College in 1920; in 1933, the Detroit Teachers College became the College of Education of the newly formed Wayne University.