Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Wayne State University

 Organization

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Minoru Yamasaki Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP002108
Abstract Minoru Yamasaki, (1912-1986), best known as the architect of the World Trade Center, New York City, was born into poverty as a second generation Japanese-American in Seattle, Washington. He put himself through the University of Washington and New York University to study architecture, worked in New York for several years, and eventually made his way to Detroit in 1945 where he established his home and his business. He eventually distinguished himself as one of the premier architects of the 20th...

Preservation Wayne Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000604
Overview Preservation Wayne (PW), originally known as the Wayne State University Historical Preservation Association, emerged in 1975 as a student movement to protest the destruction of historic structures on the Wayne State University (WSU) campus and in the Cultural Center district. They were successful in saving a number of structures from demolition and securing historical designations for buildings and areas around campus. In 1988, with its membership diversifying outside the university community,...

Wayne State University Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002643
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...

Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002779
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...