Wayne State University
Found in 274 Collections and/or Records:
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 2
Abstract A 1939 Beta Sigma Phi Fellowship yearbook includes a history of the Beta Sigma Phi, a list of officers, committees, members, and the constitution and bylaws for the fellowship. Mr. Kutnick received his degree from Colleges of the City of Detroit in 1932, and was a charter member of Beta Sigma Phi, which promoted social fellowship and encouragement of education through research.
Abstract The Wayne State University American Association of University Professors was formed in 1930. The early activities of the chapter focused on administrative reform and faculty participation in University governance. In May of 1973 WSU AAUP won an election against the Michigan Education Association-affiliated Faculty Association and the WSUFT (Wayne State University Federation of Teachers) to become the faculty collective bargaining representative. Collection materials include records relating to...
Abstract A founding member of the Detroit Metropolitan Rehabilitation Institute, Dr. Alfred Whittaker practiced medicine at several Detroit hospitals and was active in various metropolitan Detroit organizations, serving as a president of Future Detroit Inc. Citizens’ Housing and Planning Council and on the Wayne State University Board of Governors. Dr. Whittaker’s papers relate to his work with Future Detroit Inc.
Abstract Created in 1925, Alpha Phi Omega is a national service fraternity of college and university men who are or have previously been affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America. The fraternity’s key goals are developing friendships and promoting service to humanity, which they do through a number of charitable efforts. The Wayne State University chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, the Zeta Phi chapter, was instated by the National Fraternity on May 27, 1948. This collection consists of materials...
Abstract Dr. Jennings served as Clinical Assistant to the Chair of Medicine at the Detroit College of Medicine in the early 1900s. The Jennings collection consists of a scrapbook that details the Detroit Water Pollution Controversy of 1914. Subjects such as Detroit’s water supply, and its effect on public health, water purification and filtration crusade to reduce the city’s typhoid rate are included in the collection.
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 3
Abstract The collection includes student papers, two to three pages in length, covering a wide variety of topics, all written by Turgeon as a student in Professor Van Horn’s English II, circa 1931. Turgeon received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Wayne University, completing his graduate education of University of Michigan. He taught French at Wayne from the mid-1930’s until 1958.
Abstract The Association of Urban Universities was founded in 1914. The Association promoted the study of problems of particular interest to urban universities, including adult education, community service of an urban university, and university extension. Its principal activity was an annual Fall meeting. At these meetings, topics of particular concern to urban universities were discussed by the delegates and these discussions were published in the Proceedings following the meeting. The Association also...
Abstract The papers of Boaz Siegel, a faculty member of the Wayne University Law School, consist primarily of meeting minutes and agendas for the Council of Deans, the University Council, and the Faculty Affairs Committee of the University Council. Also included are correspondence and miscellaneous materials pertaining to these organizations. Boaz Siegel served as Acting Secretary of the Faculty Affairs Committee of the University Council beginning in 1949, succeeding the former secretary, Chairman R.J....
Abstract Burt Shurly was born in Chicago on July 4, 1871, son of Edmund Richard P. and Augusta (Godwin Shurly and grandson of Jon Martin and Elizabeth Catherine (Chumley) Shurly. After receiving his preliminary education at Northwestern Military Academy, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Burt R. Shurly graduated with his B.S. at the University of Wisconsin in 1894 and M.D. at the Detroit College of Medicine in 1895 and spent 1896 engaged in postgraduate study at the University of Vienna. He interned at Harper...
Abstract Born in Akron Ohio in 1850, Dr. Leonard graduated from Wooster College in 1874 and attended post-graduate lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. Dr. Leonard was Professor of Medical and Surgical Diseases of Women and Clinical Gynecology at the Michigan College of Medicine from 1879 before it merged with the Detroit College of Medicine in 1883, and at the Detroit College of Medicine through the early 1900s. The collection consists of a scrapbook that covers the time...
Abstract Central High School was originally located at the intersection of Warren Avenue and Cass Avenue in Detroit. It was the successor to Capitol High School, the first high school in Detroit, founded in 1858; Capitol changed its name to Central in 1896. CHS began to offer college courses in 1913, and this program evolved into the Detroit Junior College, which became the City College of Detroit, Wayne University, and finally Wayne State University. In 1925, CHS relocated to 2425 Tuxedo Street in...
Abstract Born in 1869 in Indiana, Charles Spain earned his degrees from University of Michigan, completing his Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1923. He began his education career in the public schools of Grand Rapids, serving as teacher and principal. He transferred to the Detroit Public School system in 1901 as vice principal of the Washington Normal School, and became principal in 1902. Promoted to supervisor of primary grades in 1906, Spain was responsible for curriculum reorganization and administration in...
Abstract Frank Cody invited Wilford Coffey to become the Dean of the College of the City of Detroit in February 1928. During these years, CCD consolidated with Detroit Teachers College, cooperated more closely with the College of Medicine, and the Detroit Law School. He oversaw the launch of both the new Nursing School and Graduate School.
Abstract Dr. Cornelius Golightly was an Associate Dean and professor at Wayne State University's Philosophy Department. Golightly's papers document his time at several institutions, his work in the philosophy field, as well as his involvement with several school boards, including Milwaukee and Detroit. This collection primarily contains draft manuscripts, classroom notes and instructions, correspondence, brochures, and acknowledgements. Additional materials include three folders of photographs and one...
Abstract The Dan Trivich Papers consist of the office files of Dan Trivich (1916-1983), Professor of Chemistry at Wayne State University. Professor Trivich earned a B.A. (1938) and a Ph.D. (1942) in Chemistry, both from Ohio State University; he began work at Wayne University in 1948, as an instructor, and was appointed Professor in 1957. His research work involved the conversion of solar energy through the use of photovoltaic cells. This collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, manuscripts,...
Abstract Between 1975 and 1976, Nancy Terner Golinko conducted interviews with Detroit-area dance instructors as research for her master's thesis entitled "The Growth and Development of the Modern Dance Curriculum at the Secondary Level, Detroit Public Schools, 1925-1969." Collection consists of transcripts of five oral history interviews with dance educators active circa 1925-1969 in the Detroit Public Schools and at Wayne State University. The selected dance educators represent artistic philosophies,...
Abstract Born in Detroit’s Corktown in 1860, David Mackenzie attended Detroit’s Capital High School, graduating from University of Michigan in 1881. He served as superintendent of schools in Flint, Michigan in 1888, then transferred to Muskegon, Michigan in 1892, accepting the position of principal of Detroit Central High School in 1903. It was Mackenzie who enabled a one-year college level premedical curriculum to be offered in 1913 at Central High School, making it possible for Detroit students to...
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 5, Folder: 5
Abstract Dr. Parker, an 1883 graduate of the Medical College of the University of Michigan, began teaching Materia Medica and therapeutics at the Detroit College of Medicine in 1906, and continued until the 1930s. Dr. Parker served as surgeon to the Michigan Naval Brigade and assistant surgeon, U.S. Navy, during the Spanish-American War.The collection includes a prescription book from the United States Army Medical Department, dated 1898. The prescriptions involve Camp Wilsoff located in...
Abstract Detroit Adventure was a coalition of arts organizations formed in 1959 to promote cultural conversation and experience in the greater Detroit area. In its 21 years of operation, Detroit Adventure served many functions in the pursuit of its mission: to organize, coordinate, and promote the fine arts in the Metro Detroit region. Detroit Adventure was initially a collaboration between Wayne State University, the Detroit Institute of Arts, and the Detroit Public Library. The coalition eventually...
Abstract The Detroit Board of Education/Detroit Public Schools Collection documents the administration, fiscal operation, personnel, publications, activities, programs and services of Detroit schools. To a lesser degree it documents professional organizations and citizens committees concerned with the Detroit Schools.
Abstract Scrapbook of Detroit College of Medicine Pharmacy Department. Contains material dated 1890-1934, including minutes, announcements, correspondence, grades and records.
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 4, Folder: 2
Abstract Originally known as the Detroit Chemistry Teachers Association, this collection provides a constitution, experiment outlines, financial records dated 1915-16, and minutes of the association from 1912-1916. The collection includes a tribute to Charles Francis Adams.
Abstract Organized in 1947 by a group of local surgeons, the purpose of this association was to further resident surgical training in area hospitals. Lectures were given on surgical topics followed by a discussion. In 1949, the association began presenting an honorary medal to lecturers. The title, Theodore McGraw Lecturer as well as a bronze medal to commemorate the occasion were presented to the lecturer. Abstracts of papers presented are contained in the collection.